What is carbon monoxide and who is at risk?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless deadly gas. Because you can’t see, taste, or smell it, carbon monoxide can kill you before you know it’s there. Everyone is at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Experts believe, however, that individuals with greater oxygen requirements such as unborn babies, infants, children, senior citizens, and people with coronary or respiratory problems are at greater risk.
Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?
When breathed in, carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen which cells need to function. When CO is present in the air, it rapidly accumulates in the blood, causing symptoms similar to the flu, such as headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizzy spells, confusion, and irritability. As levels increase, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and eventually brain damage or death can result.
Warning signs for Carbon Monoxide:
- Yellow or brown staining around or on the appliance or machines
- Apart from flue less fires, there will be yellow rather than blue flame
- Pilot lights that frequently blow out
- Increased condensation inside windows
How to avoid Carbon Monoxide problems?
– Gas appliances should be serviced and checked for carbonmonoxide every 2 years.
– Contact our qualified and licensed men today to book your service for a heater health check
For more information on our products or services, please call us on 0418 997 596 or send us an online enquiry.